Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What brings you joy?

I was asked this this question recently, and told I had to think of something other than God, family, friends. Hmmmm, for awhile I was completely blank.  Jokingly, I said, "food."  Then, after pondering, I realized that was true.  I enjoy finding interesting ingredients, searching for new recipes, cooking for others, and seeing people enjoy a meal that I prepared.  So, when my M requested apple butter, I decided to make some rather than buy it.  After all, what better way to celebrate fall then by smelling cooking apples all day.
As I usually do when I want to make something, I went on Google to search out some recipes.  Then I merged a couple together, threw in my own touches, and went to work.  According to my taste testers; K, M, C, and N; it was delicious.  It was also very easy, and made the house smell wonderful.
Here is the recipe, for anyone else who wants to give it a whirl.  Enjoy!

8 apples (I used Granny Smith  but if you use a sweeter apple, you may just want to add a squeeze of lemon juice) cored and chopped (I left the peel on)
1 cup sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t ground cloves
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t salt
1/2 t vanilla

Throw everything into a pot.  Add water to just cover the apples.  Cook on low for about  6 hours.  Check periodically.  If the water gets too low add a bit more to prevent the apples from scorching.  When the apples turn nice and brown, it's done.  Use an immersion blend to blend it up nice and smooth.
Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment